Re: [STATUS] SURVEY: Is the GNU FDL a DFSG-free license?

Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org> writes:

> I realized after I sent this that it doesn't convey what I actually
> meant. Maintainers must not put non-free software in main. The only
> guaranteed way to meet this requirement is to review the source code
> they package.

The guidelines only require Debian maintainers to review the
license(s), not the actual source code.

Most upstreams don't keep a record of contributions and the copyright
status of contributions, so a full license audit cannot by carried out
by a Debian maintainer anyway.