Re: A possible approach in "solving" the FDL problem

On Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003, at 15:37 US/Eastern, Sergey V. Spiridonov wrote:

Freedom has a value because it is convenient and useful to be free. Nothing else. There is no need to have a freedom which can't be used, and sometimes we can agree to give away a bit of our freedom, which we can't (or do not want) utilize in exchange for other values.

I disagree strongly that freedom is only a means. However, I think thats sort of beside the point.

Debian demands that no one needs to agree not to utilize particular freedoms by using software from main. We, through the social contract, promise that to our users. Those unalienable freedoms are spelled out in the DFSG.

The GFDL alienates at least one of the freedoms we guarantee to our users in our Social Contract; therefor, it can not go in main.