Re: A possible approach in "solving" the FDL problem

On Tue, 2003-08-12 at 15:00, Sergey V. Spiridonov wrote:
> Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > Le mar 12/08/2003 à 20:47, Sergey V. Spiridonov a écrit :
> >
> >>It is wrong to pick up *some* inconveniences (and even negative aspects)
> >>and call the license non-free. Correct way is to sum up all pros and
> >>cons for the majority of people on the long terms.
> >
> > I'm asking again: where do you set the limit?
>
> Let's imagine infinite scale with absolute freedom(liberty) on one side
> and absolute non-freedom on another. The border between free and
> non-free will be at 0.

Let's stop playing stupid games trying to quantify freedom. The GFDL is
*clearly not free for many reasons, of which invariant sections are only
one*. If the GFDL is "free enough" for Debian, argue that it's free
enough, not that we should change Debian's goals to make it free.

> >>I still wonder why people with the same ardour and consistency do not
> >>speak about distribution of software in the non-free section? Why Debian
> >>distributes non-free?
> >
> > Because there are valuable non-free software. Such as the FSF manuals.
>
> Do, you think that Debian will lost its value without non-free software?

I think that Debian shouldn't distribute non-free software at all; this
includes the FSF's manuals, unfortunately. It also includes plenty of
"useful" software published by Microsoft, Sun, etc.

The manuals are non-free. Therefore,

a) The manuals go into non-free. This is the easiest solution, and I
have no idea why it hasn't happened yet.

b) The manuals get a license change to something nice, like the GPL.
This is the best solution, and it has happened in some cases iirc, but I
don't see the FSF doing it in the near future.

c) Someone proposes a GR with new guidelines, rather than shouting "free
enough" at the top of their lungs. Then we can all laugh at the terrible
wording of this GR, as the "free enough" crowd's true goal - the
inclusion of the FSF's manuals in main, regardless of freedom  - comes
to light.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org>