Re: Outcome of PHPNuke discussion

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Brian T. Sniffen wrote:
> But the requirement for a copyright notice on the homepage is a
> consequence of the GPL's interactive-session clause and the
> interpretation that a web session is a single execution of a program.
> If that interpretation is reasonable, DFSG 10 establishes a
> requirement for an initial copyright notice as unambiguously free.

I should be clearer. The first interpretation (that a webserver is
non-interactive, and GPL2c does not apply) is clearly free, and the lack
of consent is on the part of the author ;)

There was no consensus that the second interpretation is reasonable (I
personally believe it to be quite a stretch). Perhaps due to this lack of
agreement, there hasn't been much exploration of exactly what the GPL2c
requirement would be in this case (i.e. can the notice be in a comment or
an HTTP header, can it be a tiny link to another document, etc.).

Requiring specific text in a specific location seems quite non-free,
regardless of whether an HTTP client can be considered interactive use.