Re: Is this license DFSG-free, part 2 - Word from upstream

On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 01:36:22PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> Nicolas Kratz <nick@ikarus.dyndns.org> writes:
>
> > *groan* I have sent upstream a mail, explaining the nonfreeness of the
> > software and suggesting to use GPL, BSD or Artistic License. The
> > original answer is below. It translates to: Professor phoned author, and
> > they say: "It's OK to build on top of our work. Regard the software as
> > absolutely freely available. Please keep us updated."
>
> BTW, it's rather unlikely that the professor has been authorized by
> the university to make such decisions.

OK, I'm dropping this. I don't see any way to get upstream to release
the software under a free license, as the copyright holder is indeed not
the author, but the university.

Cheers,
Nick

--
|              Benford's Corollary to Clarke's Third Law:              |