Re: Is this license DFSG-free, part 2 - Word from upstream

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 11:45:36AM +1200, Adam Warner wrote:
> Note that relicensing software under a different licence that you have
> merely repackaged is not considered good form.

It's not just bad form.

It's not even valid if one has not made any original contributions to
the work.  Matthew Bender & Company, Inc. v. West Publishing Company
94 Civ. 0589 (S.D.N.Y., May 19, 1997)[1].

To do so might even constitute a fraudulent claim of copyright, if
misrepresenting the license terms can constitute such (I don't know if
it can, and don't know of any case on point).

[1] http://www.phillipsnizer.com/library/cases/lib_case52.cfm

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |         Ab abusu ad usum non valet