Re: The debate on Invariant sections (long)

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 07:29:46AM -0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
> > [...]  We also
> > disagree about Debian's practice of distributing and recommending
> > non-free software.
> I'm sorry, but can you justify this statement, please?

That we distribute it is uncontroversial.  I believe RMS has asserted in
the past that the very fact that we distribute it constitutes a tacit
endorsement, and thus a "recommendation".

I say this just to save RMS the trouble of addressing the point, if I
have characterized his position accurately.

In my opinion, there is some merit to the argument that distribution
constitutes tacit endorsement, whether RMS personally shares that view
or not.

G. Branden Robinson                |      There's no trick to being a
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      humorist when you have the whole
branden@debian.org                 |      government working for you.
http://people.debian.org/~branden/ |      -- Will Rogers