Re: new-maintainer vs patents.

On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 12:03:56PM +0200, Dariush Pietrzak wrote:
> Hello,
>  I've been asked to provide the list of patents that my package
> may/may not be possibly infriging on.
>  As you can imagine this task is way beyond my capabilities,
> so what should one do with this?

That's not so beyond: you should be shure that the package you are building
is compliant to our DFSG and that is not violating any patent or
copyright. That mean you should inspect any file in the source.

> Are all package maintainers required to do this?

We have to (of course we do our best).

> Is there some policy about which patents do we ignore and which do we
> respect?

We do not ignore any patent.

>  Would uploading to non-us solve the problem? And if not, how would one go
> about locating software patents in every country that uses such patents?

Uploading to non-us is not a solution. You should contact and work with the
author.

ciao,
--
Luca - De Whiskey's - De Vitis              | Elegant or ugly code as well
aliases: Luca ^De [A-Z][A-Za-z\-]*[iy]'\?s$ | as fine or rude sentences have