Re: possible problem for debian was [NTP considered basic] misc@openbsd.org

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 02:09:34PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 02:39:15PM +0200, Jesus Climent wrote:
> > On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 11:11:49AM +0200, Uwe A. P. Wuerdinger wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I just catched this conversation on the misc OpenBSD mailinglist.
> > > Does this in any way afflict debian?

> > indeed seems to be a problem. Since it does not grant the rights to distribute
> > and sell the modified code, just the distribution without fee.

> I'm not sure I believe Theo's interpretation of "without fee" in that
> position in the sentence, though. It looks free to me.

Right, the phrasing is somewhat ambiguous, but a statement from the
copyright holders that they won't "fix" the license is not the same as
indicating that they agree with Theo's interpretation.  The "without
fee" bit is used in this manner in the license of plenty of other
software that we ship.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer