Re: possible problem for debian was [NTP considered basic] misc@openbsd.org

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 03:08:25PM +0200, Sam Hocevar wrote:
> On Thu, May 15, 2003, Uwe A. P. Wuerdinger wrote:
>
> > I just catched this conversation on the misc OpenBSD mailinglist.
> > Does this in any way afflict debian?
>
>    This subject has already been discussed forever on debian-legal. The
> general consensus is that "without fee" does not mean "you may redistri-
> bute as long as it is without a fee" but rather "the rights are granted
> to you without having to pay a fee to the author".
>
>    See for instance:
>
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/1999/debian-legal-199908/msg00049.html
>
>    Or search the -legal archives for "without a fee".

Yup.  As with the Pine license, this wording is not a problem unless the
copyright holder makes it one.

Still, it might be worth contacting the upstream authors to get a
new license statement with the 5-word edit that Henning Makholm proposed
in the message cited above.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Optimists believe we live in the
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    best of all possible worlds.