Re: LPPL and non-discrimination

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 07:02:18AM -0400, Jeremy Hankins wrote:
> I would be interested in an answer to the question in my last message,
> namely how to distinguish between this ABC-DFL and licenses that
> require other sorts of consideration before modification.

The issue is what it costs you, not who benefits. The GPL requires the
exact same thing -- that you make any intellectual contribution of your
own available to others -- the only difference is that the GPL requires
you give it to various users, and the ABC-DFL requires you give slightly
more rights to ABC. By contrast, requiring you to email people, or pay
a fee, is an entirely different cost, and they happen to be ones we find
unacceptably awkward as far as maintaining packages go.

Cheers,
aj

  ``Dear Anthony Towns: [...] Congratulations --
        you are now certified as a Red Hat Certified Engineer!''