Re: GFDL Freeness and Cover Texts

On Sun, 2003-05-04 at 17:29, MJ Ray wrote:

> Does the advertising clause restrict your ability to modify the original
> work more than copyright law?

No, it restricts my ability to modify _other_ works, which, IMO, is far
worse. Personally, I don't think the DFSG allows it, except by
grandfathering it in (see, e.g., DSFG 9).

Several times on -legal, the unenforceability of that clause has been
questioned:

<http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2000/debian-legal-200002/msg00303.html>
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2001/debian-legal-200106/msg00041.html>
<http://people.debian.org/~joey/goals/2.1/contrib-gpl.html>

I'd appreciate it if anyone has a good citation for where that belief
comes from; my searching has not been able to turn it up.