Re: The Show So Far

On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 08:17:49AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> It passes the written DFSG.

So, you'd accept Thomas's tax return as DFSG-free, then?

> Not everything that passes the DFSG as written is free -- that's why
> they're guidelines, not a definition -- but I think it's fair for the
> null hypothesis to be "satisfies the DFSG as written = free",

I disagree.  Every license should be scrutinized.  The DFSG itself it
just a set of tests we run against a license that enables us to easily
dispose of many scenarios in which a license is not a Free Software
license.  The DFSG was motivated by *practical experience* with licenses
that had been encountered in the wild by 1997.

> and expect people who want to read between the lines and add their pet
> "tests" to be the ones doing the justifying.

Why the derogatory tone towards people who develop tests to measure a
software license against the abstract notion of "freedom"?  The DFSG
itself is just such a set of "pet tests", which happen to be primarily
Bruce Perens's.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       The last Christian died on the
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       cross.