Re: The Show So Far

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 09:50:54PM -0500, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> In the case of Google, their releasing source simply doesn't let me
> improve Google--period.

This is entirely misleading.

Microsoft releasing the source code to Windows doesn't let you improve
Windows--period, in this sense either. You have no control at all over
what Microsoft release and get pre-installed on systems, and even with
all their source code, you as an individual almost certainly don't have
the resources to compete with them in any more than a token manner.

The benefits you can get from the Windows source code are _exactly_
the same in nature as those you obtain from the Google source code.

> There's nothing that can be done about this.
> This applies to most "web apps", since the fundamental reason most web
> apps are web apps is either a) the server takes a lot of resources to
> run (Google), or b) the server connects a bunch of people together (eg.
> an IRC server). (case 1)

In particular, Windows likewise takes a lot of resources to maintain and
support; and people often only want to connect a few people together
-- which is why web servers and IRC servers are useful in Intranets,
as well as for {www,irc}.debian.org.

Cheers,
aj

  ``Dear Anthony Towns: [...] Congratulations --
        you are now certified as a Red Hat Certified Engineer!''