Re: OSD && DFSG - different purposes - constructive suggestion!

Scripsit Richard Braakman <dark@xs4all.nl>

> It seems a bit eager about the GPL.  I'd much prefer if it gave equal
> time to the GPL and the BSD camps.

Yes. In particular the reasons for choosing BSD are not limited to "I
want people to be able to take my software proprietary". In the free
software world, I think a more common reason would be, for example, "I
want my code to be reuseable in all free software projects, no matter
which license they use, and I'm willing to accept as a necessary evil
the risk that somebody takes it proprietary".

> (people ARE supposed to read licenses before applying them, after all!),

I agree completely. The emphasized part "If you want your software to
be as successful..." should definitely go away. We should *not*
encourage people to use GPL (or any license) without "worrying" about
it. Severe difficulties for all the parties involved could result if
the author later decides that he don't want, say, people to use the
program in a business - and then feel cheated because he assumed that
our advise took care of whatever his expectations were.

--
Henning Makholm              "So? We're adaptable. We'll *switch missions*!"