Re: the FSF's definition of Free Software and its value for Debian

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 10:39:53AM -0800, Walter Landry wrote:
> Perhaps I'm being a spoilsport, but I feel that the GFDL is just
> fatally flawed.  It tries to enumerate transparent and opaque formats,
> when transparency and opaqueness are really context dependent.  It has
> all of the crap with Cover texts, preserving network locations,
> Invariant sections, etc.  I feel that effort would be better spent on
> making a good license, rather than fixing up the broken one.
> Otherwise Debian is just legitimizing the GFDL.

It may be a necessary step, though, if we want to retain *any* GNU
manuals in Debian main, even the ones that have no Cover Texts or
Invariant Sections.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       Extra territorium jus dicenti