Re: the FSF's definition of Free Software and its value for Debian

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 11:47:52PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > 	* How the GFDL could be fixed
>
> It's my intention that the "Debian rider" language would pretty much
> encapsulate this goal.

Perhaps I'm being a spoilsport, but I feel that the GFDL is just
fatally flawed.  It tries to enumerate transparent and opaque formats,
when transparency and opaqueness are really context dependent.  It has
all of the crap with Cover texts, preserving network locations,
Invariant sections, etc.  I feel that effort would be better spent on
making a good license, rather than fixing up the broken one.
Otherwise Debian is just legitimizing the GFDL.

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu