Re: PHPNuke license

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 05:35:19PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Similarly, I would argue that, if you derive benefit from using the
> PHP-Nuke engine to assemble your homepage into its final form for
> presentation, it is not *wholly* original.[1]  Even if it is no longer a
> derivative work of the PHP-Nuke copyrighted default homepage, it might
> legally be a derivative work of the PHP-Nuke engine itself.

I think in this case, you might be able to make that argument about the
theme in use.  I don't think the engine outputs much, if any, identifiable
code; it's all from the theme.

Note that many third parties publish PHPNuke themes, so the author's claim
gets even more flimsy as you switch to other themes.