Re: PHPNuke license

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 05:44:54PM +1300, Nick Phillips wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 12:47:59PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > Why does anyone care about modified copies that don't get distributed?
>
> Consider the case where I modify gs (since that's the example I used earlier)
> and deploy it around my company.

How is "deploying" it not "distributing" it?

  deploy
       v 1: place troops or weapons in battle formation
       2: to distribute systematically or strategically; "The U.S.
          deploys its weapons in the Middle East"

  distribute
       v 1: administer or bestow, as in small portions; "administer
            critical remarks to everyone present"; "dole out some
            money"; "shell out pocket money for the children"; "deal
            a blow to someone" [syn: {administer}, {mete out}, {deal},
             {parcel out}, {lot}, {dispense}, {shell out}, {deal out},
             {dish out}, {allot}, {dole out}]
       2: distribute or disperse widely; "The invaders spread their
          language all over the country" [syn: {spread}] [ant: {gather}]
       3: make available; "The publisher wants to distribute the book
          in Asia"
       4: give out freely [syn: {give away}, {give out}, {hand out}]
       5: cause to be distributed; "This letter is circulating among
          the faculty" [syn: {circulate}, {pass around}, {pass on}]
       6: cause to become widely known; "spread information";
          "circulate a rumor"; "broadcast the news" [syn: {circulate},
           {circularize}, {circularise}, {disseminate}, {propagate},
           {broadcast}, {spread}, {diffuse}, {disperse}, {pass
          around}]
       7: to arrange in a stack or pile; "stagger the chairs in the
          lecture hall" [syn: {stack}, {stagger}]

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     I had thought very carefully about
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     comitting hara-kiri over this, but