Re: Xbae widget license

Op di 04-03-2003, om 22:55 schreef Don Armstrong:
> On Tue, 04 Mar 2003, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> > Does this mean that you can do these things without paying a fee to
> > upstream, or that you can only do these things if you don't charge a
> > fee for doing so?
>
> As far as I can tell, the license isn't clear as to what is being done
> 'without fee'. All of the similar "free" licenses I could find include
> selling as the list of permisions, which make it obvious that the
> 'without fee' means the original grant of permision is made without
> payment expected.
>
> However, if we could get upstream to weigh in on this and/or clarify,
> it would be good.

Thanks!
I will ask upstream for a clear explanation on this.

> > This seems to be the same as the 3-clause BSD license's third clause.
> > I believe negative advertising clauses are always OK.
>
>    3. The name of the author may not be used to endorse or promote
>       products derived from this software without specific prior
>       written permission.
>
> It's slightly different because it talks about advertising and
> promotion versus endorsement or promotion of products. [Ie, it
> seemingly restricts being able to list the upstream author in
> connection with the original piece of software.]
>
> I don't think this should cause a problem for Debian unless upstream
> views this clause as making us unable to identify upstream in
> copyright files and on the web.

Okay. If anything comes up when I get an answer from the Xbae developers
I will contact this list again. I suppose when the answers are clear I
could enclose them into debian/copyright together with the original
license.

> Don Armstrong

Regards,
Joop <pa3aba@debian.org>