Re: Xbae widget license

On Tue, 04 Mar 2003, Joop Stakenborg wrote:
> Permission to use, copy, modify and distribute this material for any
> purpose and without fee is hereby granted,

I'm concerned that this restricts us (or our cd vendors) from being
able to distribute the material for a fee [ie, on cd images and the
like.]

If it was written 'with or without fee' I suppose it would be ok, or
if there was some clarification that indicated that a reasonable fee
for the medium could be charged.

[For reference, the X Consortium and the Open Group's licenses[1] don't
have this problem, because they enumerate 'sell this material' as one
of the permissions granted... and this license seems to follow their
lead.]

> I am a bit worried about the line: 'that the name of any author not
> be used in advertising or publicity bla bla'. Debian won't
> explicitely advertise this widget I guess, so that would be okay?

That worried me a bit as well, although what I presume they mean is
that you may not use bellcore or the authors names to endorse your
product or whatever. Perhaps a clarification from the author would be
sufficient here? (The other X style licenses are much clearer in this
regard.)

Don Armstrong
1: http://www.xfree86.org/current/LICENSE2.html#3
--
Build a fire for a man, and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on
fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. -- Jules Bean

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://www.anylevel.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu