Re: PHPNuke license

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 01:37:10PM -0500, Don Armstrong wrote:
> I've been thinking a bit about this license and 2c in general. I'm not
> particularly happy about 2c because it restricts the ability of
> programs to be used in specific ways. I can't yet codify what I feel
> is wrong with it, and what I would do to change it, but I hope to be
> able to do so in a few days.

I like my programs' output to be extremely spartan by default--show a
single-line command-prompt and nothing else, eg:

03:31pm glenn@zewt.pts/4 [~] ftp
ftp>

The GPL prevents me from turning another program (eg. GDB) into one which
has such a clean default interface.  (The default interface is important
to me because that's what most users see--most people don't spend their
time figuring out how to disable GPL blurbs, and I want programs to
present the best interface by default.)

--
Glenn Maynard