Re: PHPNuke license

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 02:57:52PM -0500, Simon Law wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 05:04:11PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > > I also don't see a problem with the About Box interpretation of
> > > (2)(c), which avoids the 4-clause BSD problem.
> >
> > Maybe you don't, but I don't see it as being easily construed from the
> > language of (2)(c); it looks to me like (2)(c) is designed to ensure the
> > unconditional presentation of the information described to a passive
> > user, whereas "about boxes" tend to require the user to take positive
> > action to reveal them (click on the menu bar, select an item from a
> > drop-down menu, etc.).
>
> 	(2)(c) is much more akin to the "splash screen" of the GUI
> world, which blocks out a meaningful chunk of your screen because it
> wants the user to know that the program is actually loading up.

Yes, which is part of why I don't like splash screens, either.  It's
fine to mandate that the copyright information and warranty disclaimer
be *available* to the user.  Like I said, there's a big middle ground
between obfuscating or concealing such things and ramming them down
people's throats.  Unfortunately, people often have emotional
attachments to false alternatives.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     Cogitationis poenam nemo meretur.