Re: PHPNuke license

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 02:57:52PM -0500, Simon Law wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 05:04:11PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > > I also don't see a problem with the About Box interpretation of
> > > (2)(c), which avoids the 4-clause BSD problem.
> >
> > Maybe you don't, but I don't see it as being easily construed from the
> > language of (2)(c); it looks to me like (2)(c) is designed to ensure the
> > unconditional presentation of the information described to a passive
> > user, whereas "about boxes" tend to require the user to take positive
> > action to reveal them (click on the menu bar, select an item from a
> > drop-down menu, etc.).
>
> 	(2)(c) is much more akin to the "splash screen" of the GUI
> world, which blocks out a meaningful chunk of your screen because it
> wants the user to know that the program is actually loading up.

2c is/was I believe originally intended for things like this:

nwp@hoiho:501$ gs
GNU Ghostscript 6.53 (2002-02-13)
Copyright (C) 2002 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA. All rights reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file COPYING for details.

The user runs a program which the author decided needed to display a
copyright/warranty notice on startup, you may not remove it.

It's been a long time since 2c was conceived, and people are now running
things in all sorts of weird and wonderful ways that probably weren't
considered then -- like the PHPnuke case.

Actually, has anyone considered the application of 2c to copyright notices
in banners displayed by daemons (SMTP servers, POP servers etc.) on
connection? What was the result?

Cheers,

Nick

--
Nick Phillips -- nwp@lemon-computing.com
Someone whom you reject today, will reject you tomorrow.