Re: mod_ldap for proftpd is now post-card licensed (proftpd 1.2.7+)...

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 07:51:27PM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:
> Scripsit Simon Law <sfllaw@engmail.uwaterloo.ca>
>
> > 	Send him a postcard with the appropriate GPL section
> > highlighted.
>
> Um, but what is the appropriate GPL section? It is clear to us that
> what the author is trying to do is not compatible with claiming it is
> GPL'ed - but the reason *why* it's incompatible is that the GPL
> contains no postcard requirement. How do you hightlight a section that
> is no there?

Two sections actually:

	The zeroth section states why his condition:

"As of mod_ldap 2.8.10, you _must_ send me a postcard at the following
address if you use mod_ldap. If you do not send a postcard, you are in
violation of mod_ldap's licensing."

	cannot hold under U.S. copyright law.

"Activities other than copying, distribution and modification are not
covered by this License; they are outside its scope.  The act of
running the Program is not restricted, and the output from the Program
is covered only if its contents constitute a work based on the
Program (independent of having been made by running the Program).
Whether that is true depends on what the Program does."

	The sixth section tells us why no-one but the author is allowed
to distribute the Program.

  "6. Each time you redistribute the Program (or any work based on the
Program), the recipient automatically receives a license from the
original licensor to copy, distribute or modify the Program subject to
these terms and conditions.  You may not impose any further
restrictions on the recipients' exercise of the rights granted herein.
You are not responsible for enforcing compliance by third parties to
this License."

Simon