Re: CLUEBAT: copyrights, infringement, violations, and legality

On Wednesday 29 January 2003 09:58 am, Henning Makholm wrote:
> > * Because copyrights are not inherent, are not natural rights, are not
> >   granted by God, but in fact merely incentive programs instituted by
> >   governments, one does not "violate" the rights of anyone when one
> >   disregards or acts contrary to a person's copyright.
>
> You seem to be happy enough with speaking about "infringing"
> copyrights. Is there some kind of deep difference between "infringe"
> and "violate"?

Well, as a native speaker of English, I would say, "yes", there is a *huge*
difference in the connatative value between "violate" and "infringe". It may
even be the difference you are looking for. "Infringe", does not, IMHO, imply
any moral weight to the act.  If you build your fence two meters onto my land
(by intent or accident), you are "infringing" my territory, but if you knock
my fence over and come onto my land without permission, you are "violating"
it.  In the former case, we discuss it quietly in civil court, in the latter,
I go for my shotgun.  ;-D

"Some things are too important to be taken seriously"