Re: Linux kernel complete licence check, Q.15

On Nov 24, J.B. Nicholson-Owens wrote:
> Giacomo Catenazzi wrote:
> >  *      All the material in this file is subject to the Gnu license
> > version 2.
>
> I think this is ambiguous.  Both the GNU GPL or the GNU LGPL have a version
> 2 revision; the currently in-use and well-known GNU GPL and an older release
> of the GNU LGPL as the FSF tells us:

In the context of the Linux kernel, the GPL/LGPL issue is not
important, as the "LGPL->GPL conversion clause" means both can be
treated as the GPL.

Of course, with the FDL on the way, that adds some ambiguity; it's
best to get a clarification from the original author(s) or copyright
holder(s), if possible.

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <cnlawren@phy.olemiss.edu> - http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/

Computer Systems Manager, Physics and Astronomy, Univ. of Mississippi
125B Lewis Hall - 662-915-5765