Re: ldp-es_20002103-7_i386.changes REJECTED

On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 02:30:33PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 10:51:50AM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña <jfs@computer.org> writes:
> >
> > > 	No it doesn't.
> > > 	The original copyright applies to the original work.
> > > 	The translation's copyright applies to the translation.
> >
> > I'm afraid you are quite wrong.  A translated work is a product of both
> > the original author and the translator, and both have an independent
> > copyright.
>
> Several people have explained this to Javier.  He seems unwilling to
> look through Galileo's telescope on the point.

Flamewar aside ...  (This is based on my vague memory of Japanese
Copyright law but life is similar everywhere I guess.)

Translated work has its own copyright for the portion they created but
it will not extend to the original work.

In the letter of word, my understanding was both original and
translation have "copyright".

In reality, original author can exerts limitations to the translation
through the granting process of "translation right" which was obtained
as a part of original copyright.  Thus translated work is practically
subjected to the limitation placed by the original author.  Although
copyright may be independent, copyright limitation are linked and
original author has much control but there are limits.

For example, as I understand, there is something like 10 year exclusive
right for the translator to publish translation if he gets right from
the original author.  But this right of granting translation of the
original author expires after initial 7+ year or so.

So if original author does not grant translation or nobody bothers
translation for 8 years from original publication date, anyone can
translate without limitation put by the original author as long as they
do not copy other translators work.  Complicated...

I was wondering how this right to grant translation and complicated time
limit combinations of it play roll in these somewhat free documentation
project.

        Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>   Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://qref.sf.net and http://people.debian.org/~osamu
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract