Re: click-through EULA vs DFSG

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 04:50:30PM -0800, Mark Rafn wrote:

> I haven't been paying much attention to the discussion, but the current
> download page (http://www.unrealircd.com/downloads.php) includes:
>
> IF THIS SOFTWARE WAS DOWNLOADED FROM A LOCATION OTHER THAN THIS WEBSITE
> AND THROUGH THE STANDARD DOWNLOAD URL OR WAS DOWNLOADED USING A METHOD TO
> AVOID ACCEPTANCE OF THIS AGREEMENT NO RIGHTS SHALL BE GIVEN TO THE USER.
>
> Clearly non-free.  If they have any code in the product that they received
> under the GPL, they're in violation.

Disagree. The above states that if their purpose in obtaining it elsewhere
was to avoid agreeing to the license, then they have no rights. It's
pointless, yes, but...

I expect that their purpose in this is to ensure that users agree to the
"NO WARRANTY" sections -- that appears to be the usual reason for people
adding clickthroughs to GPL/Free software download procedures.

Cheers,

Nick
--
Nick Phillips -- nwp@lemon-computing.com