Re: Endorsements

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 04:58:40PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> As noted elsewhere, I'm planning on a "GPL conversion clause".  This
> would permit the omission of the endorsements notice.
>
> Actually, it would only "suspend" it.  The idea being that you can't
> take a DFCL-licensed work, cram it into a piece of software, and then
> suck it back out into a data file without having to restore the
> Endorsements section.  However, as long as the DFCLed work "lived"
> within a GPLed work, reproduction of the endorsement clause would not be
> required (remember, the endorsements themselves are *never* required).

Er, but what prevents you from taking a DFCL-licensed work, converting
it to the GPL and leaving it in a data file?  I don't see how you can
allow conversion to the GPL, without letting people do anything with it
the GPL allows (such as modifying it, printing it out and selling it
without an endorsement clause.)

--
Glenn Maynard