Re: Endorsements

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote:
> 5) There will be text, in the form of a brief notice, following the
> copyright notice, which mentions endorsements.  Removing that text
> will not be permitted, unfortunately (yes, this is invariant text).

You realize, of course, that this will make DFCL stuff unusable with
GPL'd code.  Do you really want to do that?

I feel that endorsements should be separate from the work.  Something
along the lines of "This manual may have changed since I wrote it.  I
endorse the FooBar Manual with MD5 hash ...  On most systems, you can
check the MD5 hash of this document by doing XYZ."  The author could
even attach it to the document.  If someone changes the document, then
the hash will not match.  If they change the corresponding MD5 hash in
the endorsement, then you've got fraud.

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu