Re: Endorsements

Jeff Licquia <licquia@debian.org> wrote:
> I think you're confusing the statement about the endorsements with the
> endorsements themselves.

I wrote it that way because I wanted it to be a "copyright notice and
disclaimer of warranty", not an endorsement per se.

> The statement about the endorsements would be something like:
>
> ---
> This document contains a list of endorsements.  These endorsements are
> intended to identify documents which properly express the author's
> views.  If you modify this document, carefully read the endorsements and
> remove the ones that do not give you explicit permission to make the
> changes you're making.
> ---
>
> (note: I am not Branden, this is an example, and probably not even a
> good one.)
>
> It would be a part of the copyright notice, and would be invariant along
> with the rest of the copyright notice.  The endorsements would be
> somewhere else, and would be removable (and required to be removed under
> certain circumstances).

Calling this a part of the copyright notice doesn't make it so.  That
makes it GPL incompatible, because you have to preserve more than what
the GPL requires.

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu