Re: GNU FDL 1.2 draft comment summary posted, and RFD

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 11:41:13AM -0700, Walter Landry wrote:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> wrote:
> > OTOH, "preferred form of the work for making modifications to it" is not
> > always the same thing as "original source form of the work", because
> > *preferences* are subjective.  I may receive a copylefted document in
> > LaTeX format, but because I'm not comfortable with working in that
> > format, I use one of the many available tools to convert it to XML (or
> > God forbid, PDF) before making my own changes to it.  Should I then be
> > obliged to redistribute the original LaTex document that I received
> > under a copyleft license?

> > Analogy in the coding world:  if there's a particular function (C file,
> > library, etc. -- whatever the basic unit is that we'd like to consider)
> > that's being poorly optimized by the compiler, and I reimplement it in
> > assembly because I know better, should I be required to distribute the
> > original C source, or can I toss it?  Personally, I think anyone who
> > takes a piece of portable code and modifies it to be
> > architecture-dependent is a jerk, but I'm not sure that opinion should
> > have the force of law.

> You have modified the original such that the preferred form for
> modifications has changed.  People do this all the time (e.g. recoding
> a Perl project in Python). I don't think that there is any ambiguity
> here.

But whose preference are you going by?  I don't think this is precise
enough to prevent some pretty serious abuses, both by original authors
and by modifiers of copylefted works.  If I wrote the original document,
and prefer LaTeX over XML so much that it remains my preferred form even
when significant content and markup changes have been made to the XML
version, do I have the right to demand access to the changes in LaTeX
format?  If not, what are my rights if someone else converts the
document to a PS or PDF document and works with it that way?  At which
point, what recourse do I have if someone chooses PDF as a preferred
form with obfuscation in mind?

This "preferred form" rule has always bothered me somewhat for these
reasons, particularly in the context of existing Debian packages
containing docs distributed in a format other than the original.  And maybe
it's not reasonable for me to hope that the legalese can be made precise
enough to address this, but there you have it.

Steve Langasek
psotmodern programmer