Re: #144984

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 09:04:40AM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> DFSG requires that distributors be free to charge MORE than just
> 'material costs'; they must also be free to sell CDs at a profit.  Yes,
> this license fails the DFSG.

No, the DFSG doesn't require that.

The DFSG says:

"The license of a Debian component may not restrict any party from
selling or giving away the software as a component of an aggregate
software distribution containing programs from several different
sources. The license may not require a royalty or other fee for such
sale."

Therefore:

A license which forbade selling the software by itself, but permitted
selling it in aggregate with other software, would abide by the letter
of the DFSG.  Of course, in the real world no one licenses software this
way because it's trivially easy to aggregate the software.

The GNU GPL places a restriction (more specifically, a ceiling) on the
price that may be charged for source code corresponding to a binary
software release that has already been made.  DFSG #1 has nothing to say
about that.

I won't opine on whether or not it *should*.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    I have a truly elegant proof of the
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    above, but it is too long to fit