Re: #144984

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 11:34:05AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:

> A license which forbade selling the software by itself, but permitted
> selling it in aggregate with other software, would abide by the letter
> of the DFSG.  Of course, in the real world no one licenses software this
> way because it's trivially easy to aggregate the software.

True. However, the licence in question says:

  No charge can be incurred for the redistribution of this utility
  beyond material costs.

Which I read as applying to aggregations, too.

> The GNU GPL places a restriction (more specifically, a ceiling) on the
> price that may be charged for source code corresponding to a binary
> software release that has already been made.  DFSG #1 has nothing to say
> about that.

According to my reading, the clause in the GPL doesn't forbid a company
to sell you the service of distributing the software to you. That is,
the company might make profit from selling this service to. The htp
licence in question forbids this.

-Ralf.