Re: #144984

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 11:34:05AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> A license which forbade selling the software by itself, but permitted
> selling it in aggregate with other software, would abide by the letter
> of the DFSG.  Of course, in the real world no one licenses software this
> way because it's trivially easy to aggregate the software.

I doubt the authors of this license indended this, but you're right,
that is the letter of the law.

My reading of the DFSG is that (1) referes to any redistribution of
the software, to include redistribution with other complete programs,
or just the trivially added things that might go into a single
software "distribution".

If the authors of this license don't want their software redistributed
commercially, then in my mind it fails. Of course, this is up to
Debian to decide. It is, after all, your DFSG.

I'd shy away from discussion about how we can "trick" the authors
of this license though by trivially including other code on the CD.
If they don't want their software free, then so be it...

FWIW, This particular king of clause comes up _consistently_ on the OSI
mailing list and is systematically rejected.

-drew

--
M. Drew Streib <dtype@dtype.org>
Independent Rambler, Software/Standards/Freedom/Law -- http://dtype.org/