Re: GPL scripts with a GPL-incompatible interpreter

Scripsit tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG)
> Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net> writes:

> > > What establishes "cahoots"?  Well, basically, anyone who did any of
> > > the steps (*any* of them, whether that step would be illegal in
> > > isolation or not) with the intention that it's part of the total
> > > process.  This is similar to conspiracy law, where taking an "overt
> > > act" to futher the conspiracy is illegal, even if that act isn't
> > > illegal in isolation.

> > I was alluding to a scenario where neither of the participants have
> > any "master plan" for an infringing outcome (and none of them control
> > each other). For example, the one who ports the program to the
> > proprietary language may do it out of honest desire to make some good
> > free software available in what he sees as an exciting new
> > environment.

> Nobody need have a master plan--the question is whether what you are
> doing only makes sense as part of such a total-effect.

I'm not sure whether or not you disagree with me. Was it that hard to
tell that my original "different people" scenario was meant as a
situation where each of the things that each of the parties do is
something they do because it makes sense in itself to do it. What I
point out is that such a series of individually innocent steps can end
up with a state that the original author probably didn't think the GPL
would allow.

--
Henning Makholm                         "PROV EN FORFRISKNING FRISKLAIL DEM"