Re: Is this a free license?

On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 20:38, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Thomas Bushnell, BSG <tb@becket.net> writes:
>
> > Courts care not about the technical details of *how* you copy, but the
> > fact that you copy.  You cannot copy qmail *at all* if you are making a
> > modified binary with it.  This means you cannot copy qmail and then do
> > with it what you want to.
>
> > And you cannot go out of your way to help someone else do it, if you
> > know they would be violating the copyright (that's called contributory
> > infringement).
>
> <http://cr.yp.to/softwarelaw.html>
>
> Why should I believe you instead of Dan?  Do you have a counter to the
> cite of Galoob v. Nintendo?

I do: Micro Star v. Formgen.  In Nintendo v. Galoob, there was no
derivative work "fixed in tangible form."  In Micro Star, there was.
IMO, that's far closer to the current case than Nintendo v. Galoob.

--
-Dave Turner                     Stalk Me: 617 441 0668

"The coked-up Hollyweird fatcats hate Turing Machines."
                     -Murray, _0wnz0red_, Cory Doctorow