Re: License DSFG-free?

On [03/12/02 16:07], Richard Braakman wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 09:25:43AM +0100, Christian Kurz wrote:
> > |You can do whatever you like with this package.  The code is placed
> > |at the public domain.

> "Placing in the public domain" is not a valid concept in all
> jurisdictions.  It's not always possible to abandon copyright.
> It's probably better to say explicitly what freedoms you intend to grant.

But how would this be done if the author wants to give all freedoms that
are possible and doesn't care about the license itself? He's simply
interested in sharing the code, so I think it would be difficult to say
what freedoms should be granted.

> I currently use this license, myself:

> -- Copyright 2002 Richard Braakman
> --
> -- You may freely use, modify, and distribute this software, as well as
> -- modified versions and derived works of this software, but at your own
> -- risk.  NO WARRANTY is given; not even the implied warranty of
> -- merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
> ----

> Note that the warranty disclaimer is "nice try, but no banana" in some
> places, but for most of them this is better than nothing.  Adding a
> "to the extend permitted by applicable law" phrase might make it a bit
> stronger in jurisdictions where disclaiming slightly too much warranty
> would make the whole disclaimer invalid.

Hm, do you know some examples of such jurisdictions? I'm curios to know
where this would be a problem.

Christian
--
           Debian Developer (http://www.debian.org)
1024D/B7CEC7E8 44BD 1F9E A997 3BE2 A44F  96A4 1C98 EEF3 B7CE C7E8