Re: License DSFG-free?

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 09:25:43AM +0100, Christian Kurz wrote:
> |You can do whatever you like with this package.  The code is placed
> |at the public domain.

"Placing in the public domain" is not a valid concept in all
jurisdictions.  It's not always possible to abandon copyright.
It's probably better to say explicitly what freedoms you intend to grant.

I currently use this license, myself:

-- Copyright 2002 Richard Braakman
--
-- You may freely use, modify, and distribute this software, as well as
-- modified versions and derived works of this software, but at your own

Note that the warranty disclaimer is "nice try, but no banana" in some
places, but for most of them this is better than nothing.  Adding a
"to the extend permitted by applicable law" phrase might make it a bit
stronger in jurisdictions where disclaiming slightly too much warranty
would make the whole disclaimer invalid.

(Note: most of what I said here is based on discussions on IRC.  This
helps to get viewpoints from many different countries, but it might
be somewhat, um, inaccurate in a legal sense :-)  I have enough confidence
in the result to actually use this licesne, though.)

Richard Braakman