Re: Linux kernel complete licence check, Q.0 - Q.10

Thomas Bushnell, BSG <tb@becket.net>:

> > I think the point is that "copyright" as a verb only makes sense in a
> > historical, USA context. Most countries have never had a requirement
> > or even a possiblity of registering things for copyright, as I
> > understand it.
>
> The OED lists "copyright" as a verb, going back as far as 1806.

I think the first US-wide copyright law of 1790 did involve
registration. If this was also the first major copyright law to
involve registration then it fits perfectly if the verb "copyright"
appeared shortly afterwards.

I don't think the OED is on line, but if it is, I'd be grateful for a
URL.

Edmund