Re: Fwd: Re: libjpeg for debian, autoconf

Scripsit James Michael DuPont <mdupont777@yahoo.com>
> --- Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net> wrote:

> > I think that the configure.in is sufficiently important for further
> > development (and sufficiently nontrivial for mortals to reconstruct
> > from configure) that the spirit of the social contract and the DFSG
> > mandate that we distribute it as part of the source.

> I volunteer to fix the problem if needed.
> The idea of reverse engineering the configure does not make me happy,
> but it should not take more than a couple of hours.

The problem with reverse engineering configure.in is that it
effectively amounts to a fork - or the reverse engineering will have
to be redone each time upstream reases a new configure script.

Granted, this is not a *legal* problem at all. But it means that
it is not a solution that should be used until all attempts to work
reasonably with upstream has failed.

--
Henning Makholm                                  "Panic. Alarm. Incredulity.
                                   *Thing* has not enough legs. Topple walk.