Re: non-software violates social contract?

On Tuesday, August 27, 2002, at 02:19  PM, Joe Wreschnig wrote:
I think it's clear that graphics fonts and documentation are not software.
I think it's clear you don't work with fonts or documentation.

I work with both. I understand these complexities but I didn't really want to go into them. There are quite a few things (RFCs, the GPL, etc.) which I think are clearly not intended to be executed by computers. I don't think arguing about AI and advanced parsing techniques is relevant to the point at hand.

[...] XML (and SGML) are just alternate forms of expressing S-exps, used in LISPs [sic] for programming [...]

So? ASCII is used in C programming.

What about a program that consists solely of printf statements, printing
static text? Is that documentation, or "software"?

There are more fun puzzles at http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/DeCSS/Gallery/
--
Aaron Swartz [http://www.aaronsw.com] I am large, I contain multitudes.