Re: mindterm copyright (more opensslish stuff)

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 07:32:36PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Branden Robinson wrote:
> > I wonder if it possible to reconstruct the existing mindterm code base
> > from all the known DFSG-free code using a recipe.  This recipe could
> > then be handed to the FTP admins.

> Only if you have an automatic C to java translator program..

This is what puzzled me about this question.  If the old code was C and
the new code is entirely Java, are there enough recognizable portions of
the old code left to be able to call mindterm a derivative work of
libdes?  Algorithms are not copyrightable, and there are only so many
ways to implement DES.  How strong is the case for claiming that mindterm
is covered by the license of the libdes C library?

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer