Re: OpenSSL-linked exim

Richard Braakman <dark@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 08:54:38AM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
> > If Debian would like such a statement, then please can somebody send me
> > the wording that they want, and I will probably have no problem
> > inserting it. Basically, I don't apply any restriction on linking Exim
> > with any library you like, and distributing the resulting binary.
> > (Obviously, the licencing terms of the library must be respected.)
> > However, the usual GPL conditions apply: the people to whom it is
> > distributed must have access to all the source of the Exim part.
>
> Hmm... even though Exim is not a library, this sounds like exactly the
> conditions of the LGPL.  Perhaps that license would be a better fit?
>
> Richard Braakman

I'll second that.  If you don't care what kind of code exim links to [1],
but you want exim proper to remain free, then the LGPL is a perfect
fit.

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu

[1] Well, not quite.  The LGPL does not allow linking libraries to
prevent modification or reverse engineering.  It doesn't require it to
be easy, though.  This is not a problem for any software in Debian.