Re: TeX Licenses & teTeX (Was: Re: forwarded message from Jeff Licquia)

> Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 21:58:40 +0200
> From: "Bernhard R. Link" <blink@informatik.uni-freiburg.de>

> A lunatic author can make it impossible to get a stable system, most
> of the time even changes will not help to get a system which is also
> feasable to be used with interchanged documents from and to new and
> old systems.

I am afraid this situation can arise with any license. Debian in
history sometimes chose to hold on an old version of the upstream
source when the upgrades were not mature enough. There is nothing
preventing Debian to hold old package for the compatibility and fork a
new one for new documents. Or to create a script fixedlatex, which
would be a wrapper for redefining $TEXINPUTS, AND calling latex with a
proper path.

> I think any licence with which Debian can ship .cfg-files in the binary
> packages containing LaTeX, should and would be considered free enough.

Glad you agree with this

> I think if the license would clearly limit it restrictions to areas with
> anything called LaTeX it might remove even more provisos. ( As in my
> opinion a licence is thatmuch better, the more usefull things it allows,
> that where not thought about by the author)

Again I am glad we can find an understnading.

--
Good luck

-Boris

I use not only all the brains I have, but all those I can borrow as well.
		-- Woodrow Wilson