Re: TeX Licenses & teTeX (Was: Re: forwarded message from Jeff Licquia)

Thomas Bushnell, BSG writes:
 > Frank Mittelbach <frank.mittelbach@latex-project.org> writes:
 >
 > > the problem with Don's work is, that you have to make assumptions or raise
 > > opinions on what he means. but assuming he clarifies or you pick an
 > > interpretation it then needs a discussion on whether it fits the not
 > > completely unambiguous, interpretable, non-legalistic DFSG. right?
 >
 > I think there is actually no problem with Knuth's work.  The LPPL,
 > however, does *not* describe the Knuth "license" at all.  It's a very
 > very different document.
 >
 > Nothing in the Knuth "license" speaks of renaming filenames.

frank@istrati:~ > more /usr/TeX/texmf/fonts/source/public/cm/cmr10.mf
% THIS IS THE OFFICIAL COMPUTER MODERN SOURCE FILE cmr10.mf BY D E KNUTH.
% IT MUST NOT BE MODIFIED IN ANY WAY UNLESS THE FILE NAME IS CHANGED!

frank@istrati:~ > more /usr/TeX/texmf/fonts/source/public/cm/cmbase.mf
% THIS IS THE OFFICIAL COMPUTER MODERN SOURCE FILE cmbase.mf BY D E KNUTH.
% IT MUST NOT BE MODIFIED IN ANY WAY UNLESS THE FILE NAME IS CHANGED!

% The base file for Computer Modern (a supplement to {\tt plain.mf})

frank@istrati:~ > more ~/tex.web
% This program is copyright (C) 1982 by D. E. Knuth; all rights are reserved.
% Copying of this file is authorized only if (1) you are D. E. Knuth, or if
% (2) you make absolutely no changes to your copy. (The WEB system provides
% for alterations via an auxiliary file; the master file should stay intact.)

you need more? i can probably find another 100+ files of that type.

frank