Re: TeX Licenses & teTeX (Was: Re: forwarded message from Jeff Licquia)

> From: tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG)
> Date: 05 Aug 2002 13:01:07 -0700

> Now, you treat this is as if there are merely differing
> interpretations of DFSG-4.  But there are not.  The only interpretors
> of DFSG-4 are the Debian Project.  Nobody else.  We don't make any
> kind of promise that if you meet the DFSG, we will distribute your
> software; rather, we publish these guides, and then use them in making
> determinations about what is free.  But we make the determination.
> DFSG is not a legal text, it's an internal guide for the Debian
> project.

I do not doubtthe Debian Project's right to be the sole interpreters
of DFSG. I just cannot help recalling Mark Twain's famous dictum that
only Russian Tsars and schizophrenics have the right to call their
opinions "our opinions".

In other words, I do not think that Debian Project's interpretation of
DFSG is exactly the same as Thomas Bushnell's one. Until I see the
former, I think my opinion here is not worse than your opinion.

--
Good luck

-Boris

There seems no plan because it is all plan.
		-- C.S. Lewis