Re: Font license recommendation

Sunnanvind Fenderson <sunnanvind@fenderson.com> writes:

> tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG) writes:
> > If you mean a bitmap font, then it's already free, because bitmap
> > fonts are not copyrightable (in the US, at any rate; I'm not familiar
> > with the law everywhere).
>
> I think that dingbat fonts, with different symbols or pictures instead
> of letters, are copyrightable here, and normal ones too, if they're
> different enough. Like the Futurama "alien" alphabet, that would be
> copyrightable here, even if it had been a bitmap font.

Note that "Dingbat" is not a generic actually, but a very specific
set of glyphs designed by Herman Zaph.

The precedents in the United States are about fonts for letters.
Symbols, dunno.  Bitmaps of the Futurama font, if it's a font of
letters, are not copyrightable, regardless how clever or different it
is.