Font license recommendation

Since I'm anyway reading debian-legal right now (although I'm not on it, so
I'd appreciate if answers are Cc'ed to me), I supposed I'd better take the
opportunity to ask the following question:

What license should I use if I want to make a _font_ free software?

Originally I was thinking about the GPL, but then it occurred to me that
this could have unwanted contamination effects on documents that use the
font. Public domain wouldn't guarantee an open source status.

Lars Hellström